Posted on

I Got The Shock News Of The Loss Of A Dear Friend-Jonathan S. Bowers

In early 1973 I was a struggling young graduate student working on an MBA at George Washington University. I was just out of the US Navy. I was living on VA checks and welfare as work was very scarce. I had some good luck. A nice loan officer at the Central National Bank of Maryland gave me a $5,000 student loan. I got a confirmation that funds were deposited to my account at that bank. I deposited $5,000 from that account to my account at the First National Bank of Washington. I paid for all of educational expenses including books,etc. I began to study in earnest. One day my fiorst wife got a call from the First National Bank of Washington. She was informed that our checking account was $5,000 overdrawn. I soon found out that my check drawn on the Central National Bank of Maryland had bounced. I called my bank manager out in Maryland. He told me that he had decided to cancel the loan. Unfortunately he had never informed me of this, I knew that I was in big problems. I knew that I needed a lawyer and that I was broke.
I looked around and found a start up law firm that was taking indigent clients. The firm was Bowers and Bluestein. I went to their very modest offices. I was introduced to Jonathan S, Bowers. He was 29 years of age at the time. He had recently graduated from George Washington University Law School.
Jon struck me as a competent and sincere person. He looked at my case. He called the First National Bank of Washington and set a meeting.
Jon and I went to the meeting together. He carried a copy of the District of Colombia criminal code with him. We were shown into a conference room where three officials from the bank were seated. Jon gave a good presentation. He pointed out that I had received the loan in good faith and that funds had been deposited to my account. I had made the deposit to my account at the First National Bank of Washington in good faith. I had only drawn funds after the bank had taken a hold off the check. Jon went on to point out that all checks from the Washington,DC area were cleared through the Federal Reserve Bank in Richmond, Virginia. Therefore the First National Bank of Washington had been negligent in releasing the hold on the check before it had cleared.
A bank security official threatened to charge me with writing a worthless check under the District of Columbia criminal code. Jon showed them the statute and the requirement that one knew the check was without sufficient funds before a criminal prosecution could succeed. I was then threatened with a lawsuit. Jon pointed out that such a suit would require the bank to list the Central National Bank of Maryland as a co-defendant. The bankers went silent. Jon explained to me later that one bank does not sue another bank. One of the bank managers told me that I was a man of incredible resourcefulness. The overdraft was removed form my account and I got to keep it.
Jon became both a lawyer and a god friend. He helped me in a later crisis. I last saw he and his first wife Dottie Di Santo in 1979. He had become a successful real estate developer. Here is his obituary:

Jon Bowers, 61; Created 9:30 Club

Network News
View More Activity
Resize Print
E-mail Reprints

By Joe Holley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 3, 2006
Jon Bowers, 61, an attorney and real estate developer with an abiding affection for the arts, died Oct. 6 of transitional cell carcinoma at his home in the District.

In 1979, Mr. Bowers purchased the eight-story Atlantic Building at 930 F Street NW, bought out the lease of a failing punk club on the first floor called Atlantis and replaced it with his club, managed by his first wife, Dodie DiSanto. They called it the 9:30 Club, a play on the F Street address and the nightly opening time.

Small, hip and lively, the club soon became the District’s “alternative” mecca — alternative being punk, new wave, funk, reggae, roots rock, go-go and any other musical genre that more established club and concert bookers were reluctant to embrace.

At a time when music lovers were reluctant to venture downtown, a lingering consequence of the 1968 riots, Mr. Bowers and his 9:30 Club were in the forefront as low rents and cheap real estate gradually attracted new galleries, restaurants and clubs, and people began coming back.


As The Washington Post noted in 1995, “thousands of bands have passed through the 9:30’s back door, many of them impressed that their equipment was loaded in from the same alley John Wilkes Booth escaped through after assassinating Abraham Lincoln at nearby Ford’s Theatre.”

Many of the bands — R.E.M. and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, for example — went on to bigger and better venues, but the 9:30 dared to book them early. DiSanto told the City Paper in 1995 that the 9:30 Club survived because of “the incredible benevolence of Jon Bowers, who financed the whole thing.”

“Without Jon Bowers, there would not have been a 9:30 Club,” said Seth Hurwitz, who bought the club in 1986. “He was a true patron of the arts.”

Mr. Bowers also wooed artists, photographers, architects and nonprofit organizations to the Atlantic Building. Tenants included Goldleaf Studios, the Blade, the D.C. Historic Preservation League and a number of photographers and artists.

Another client was District Curators, a nonprofit arts and entertainment organization founded in 1980 to promote vanguard jazz, new music and performance art. District Curators — with Mr. Bowers as hands-on chairman, financial benefactor and tireless fundraiser — brought to Washington such avant-garde artists as Philip Glass, controversial composer of minimalist operas, film and dance scores; Laurie Anderson, the violin-playing performance artist; and Sankai Juku, the Japanese butoh group that hangs from wires and tall buildings.

“I think there’s a younger generation, the generation I’m a part of, that’s grown up and is somewhat more open” to more experimental artists, Mr. Bowers told The Post in 1988.

Jonathan Stickney Bowers was born in Harrisburg, Pa., and grew up in Birmingham, Mich. He graduated from the University of Michigan in 1967 and received a law degree from George Washington University in 1971.

That year, he opened a law firm with his friend Herman Bluestein before returning to Michigan in 1975 to negotiate the sale of family interests on the death of his father. When he returned to Washington the next year, he began investing in real estate in the Mount Pleasant, Shaw and Columbia Heights neighborhoods. In 1977, he and two partners founded the brokerage firm of Intown Properties; he served as president and managing partner. He continued investing in District properties over the years, including buildings along the 14th Street corridor.

In 1996, he took what he called the first “safe job” of his entrepreneurial career, as principal and director of recruiting at Arthur Andersen, until that company’s demise in 2002. More recently, he was director of client development at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman, working in the District, Virginia and New York offices.

His wife, the artist Lynn Flanagan Bowers, recalled that he traced his interest in music to his Detroit roots. “He was still listening to the newest independent music, sharing it with his children and recommending it to friends,” she said.

His marriage to DiSanto ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 20 years, of the District; two daughters from his second marriage, Margaret Bowers and Elizabeth Bowers, and a stepson, Thomas Flanagan, all of the District; and a brother and sister.

More in the Obituary Section

Post Mortem
Post Mortem
The art of obituary writing, the culture of death, and more about the end of the story.
About this New Blog
From the Archives
From the Archives
Read Washington Post obituaries and view multimedia tributes to Pope John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, James Brown and more.
Effi Barry, 1944 – 2007
Gerald R. Ford, 1913 – 2006
[Campaign Finance]
A Local Life
This weekly feature takes a more personal look at extraordinary people in the D.C. area.
A Local Life: John Hoke, 85, never ran out of inventive ideas
© 2006 The Washington Post Company

Network News
Friends’ Activity
View More Activity

I was relieved to have won the cas


About tatamkuluafrica

I am a man who has lived n 6 of the 7 continents. I first arrived in Africa on April 18, 1981. Africa has been a part of my life since. I spent 8 months living in a Xhosa village in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. I was given he nickname Tatamkulu Africa. In Xhosa it means "Grandfather Africa." In April of 1994 I was allowed to vote in the first democratic election in South Africa..I was honored to be part of such a historical moment. It was a beautiful and a magical day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s