Posted on

A Tale Of Two Technical Support Departments

We all have had appliances and equipment in the house “crash.” In the good old days you called a great repair man like our repair man of 60 years ago-Cecil Hall. Or you went to the store where you bought the equipment and found out how to make it work again.

Now you have to call technical support. I had two crashes this week. The head on our Dyson vacuum cleaner failed to work. I found that the nearest Dyson store was in the East Bay. I looking forward to a long ride and a morning “shot.” I decided to take a risk and pulled up the company website at 07:00. A nice man named Michael came right on line. He told me to check and make sure the attachment wheel would rotate. It rotated. He then told me to hit a gray button by the power button three times. It would reset the head of the attachment. I followed his instructions. I fired up the vacuum cleaner. The attachment worked fine. It all took 7 minutes. I was treated with dignity and courtesy.

The following morning our Bose T.V. sound system crashed. I did trouble shooting. The logical conclusion was that the battery on the remote had died. I opened the remote. A big round battery that I did not have was needed. I went to Ace Hardware and bought the battery. I came home and installed it. The unit was still dead. I pulled up the Bose website. I found a Bose store in Palo Alto. I called and asked for help. They said that they could not help me. I was given the 800 number for technical support. I dialed the 800 number and it was the start of a one-hour nightmare. The metallic voice on the line claimed that bad weather (snow) was creating unusually long wait times. I waited, waited and waited. Finally some guy came on the line and told me to reboot the unit . I did that and it worked. I was physically and mentally exhausted. It was a humiliating and degrading experience


About tatamkuluafrica

I am a man who has lived n 6 of the 7 continents. I first arrived in Africa on April 18, 1981. Africa has been a part of my life since. I spent 8 months living in a Xhosa village in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. I was given he nickname Tatamkulu Africa. In Xhosa it means "Grandfather Africa." In April of 1994 I was allowed to vote in the first democratic election in South Africa..I was honored to be part of such a historical moment. It was a beautiful and a magical day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s